Friday, December 16, 2011

Fascinating? Really?

For its eighteenth year, Barbara Walters' "10 Most Fascinating People" was on a couple of nights ago.  


On the list of people we apparently found the most fascinating of 2011, were the likes of Katy Perry and The Kardashians.

This depresses me.  


All we have to show for 2011 are a pop singer that shoots whipped cream out of her bra and 3 sisters that are famous because one of them had a sex tape once.


I looked up what "Fascinating" means.

Definition: "of great interest or attraction; enchanting; charming; captivating"

Would I consider the Kardashian's captivating? Train wreck maybe - but enchanting? No.


What I find fascinating is Barbara Walter's voice. That lady has one odd (but dare I say charming?) voice.

I can't tell if all of this is a step up from 2010's Jersey Shore Cast, which made the list last year.

I will say however, that I think Barbs got it right with Steve Jobs taking top spot as this year's most fascinating person.  She had to break her own rule (everyone on the list has to be living), but the exception was a good one. 


 It gave me hope that maybe next year, the word fascinating will be taken a bit more seriously? 

(Or else I am fully expecting that dog that skateboards to make the 2012 list.)



"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower" - Steve Jobs







No comments:

Post a Comment