Thursday, May 24, 2012

picture perfect

My friend and I were recently discussing how we haven't taken
enough pictures lately.

We get together with friends, and want to take photos, at one point we even said
"I have my camera and I am absolutely taking pictures tonight. No excuses."

And then it's the next morning, and I have one blurry shot of my dog.

no joke - here it is.

And then I'm kind of disappointed because we looked cute,
we were having fun,
summer was being had...
and we don't have any documentation!

And then, I gave myself this face - 
 
and said... 
"wait. I'm disappointed?"

Have I gotten so wrapped up in the documenting of events that
I have stopped enjoying them?

A bit dramatic, but sort of.

When I'm out, I'm often saying - 
"DAMN! I wish I had my camera. This would be such a good picture."

Carling - shut up! Just enjoy the moment. 

Don't get me wrong - picture taking & editing is one of my 
favourite things to do.

However, I do think in the age of social media and the never ending need
to show off (yep, I'm saying it) how good you look, or how awesome your life is,
or how great and picture perfect your trip was...

you might lose the moment... just a little bit.

This doesn't mean you should expect me to stop documenting any time soon,
but... I'm not going to beat myself up anymore when I don't get 80 shots of 
my amazing night.

I have a lot of amazing nights,
and maybe, sometimes, the memories are enough.

"Memory is the power to gather roses in winter" - Anonymous

5 comments:

  1. You always manage to capture (pun intended) things exactly right! I've thought this for a long time as well... I think it's felt most when you're at a concert. You're so focused on getting all of these pictures when you're there - you have to get one when they're playing this song, or that one. But at the end, all of the pictures look, more or less, the exact same. And what's your biggest memory from the night? Not enjoying the live music, but looking through your camera's screen! I tell myself this same thing from time to time.. don't worry about documenting, worry about enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. concert pictures are my pet peeve! one is enough! :) and thanks for reading whit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Car! And I can relate since I'm pretty sure I was on the other end of the whole "we need to take pictures tonight" comment - p.s. I considered taking pictures when you came to watch Present Laughter. Then I figured we should probably just enjoy the night. My memory isn't bad (yet) so I'll remember the details of that somewhat rammy night, complete with surprise dessert / dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i took lots of pictures on your camera and then you deleted them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, hello "Anonymous". You took, quite possibly, the worst pictures of all time. Taking photos of people eating from the angle of the table is not my idea of memory making.

    ReplyDelete