Saturday, January 7, 2012

Seafood Fettuccini... Fancy!

I bought Chris Lobster Mushrooms this Christmas as a stocking stuffer.

 And before you make that face and think "why would you buy your husband fungi for Christmas?", it's best you understand that my husband has a borderline obsession with mushrooms.  
(Not the drug. Just so we are clear.)

Lobster mushrooms look and taste like lobster. (or they should... I bought them dehydrated at an artisan show, and we have a few things to learn about reconstituting 'shrooms).

The mushroom package told us they would be delicious in a white wine sauce. So we thought... no problem, let's do it.

We've never cooked with wine before, and as I mentioned, we've also never reconstituted anything.  Both were a learning curve.

However, if I do say so myself, we made a freaking delicious Seafood Fettuccini in a White Wine Sauce (la dee daaaa.) 

Below is a collage of our evening cooking something new.


Click here for the recipe.  

A Few Things We Learned

Where has garlic butter been all our lives? Amazing.
"Reducing" your white wine sauce doesn't mean putting the temp to "low"
Drinking red wine while cooking is always necessary (and I just found an amazing Italian cab sauv/merlot mix for only $6.95... score yo!)
Adding more red pepper flakes than the recipe calls for makes for one spicy (yet still fab) dish
Lobster mushrooms are probably best enjoyed fresh, wherever they come from
 _________________________________________________________________

2012... the year I get excited about food in more than just a "sit on the couch all day and watch Food Network" way. Good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. I'm already pumped for when we perfect this recipe

    ReplyDelete