Tuesday, February 14, 2012

So, yes. I'm in Love.

I am in love.
It's not a secret & it's not embarrassing for me to admit.


I love my husband. And yes folks, he loves me too.
That's right... we're one of those weird married couples that isn't afraid to admit it out loud that we actually love each other.  And better than that? We like, LIKE each other too.

Now... don't get me wrong.  We aren't perfect.  Sometimes we fight. 

 Theatrical.

 (If you actually know us and hang out with us, you will know we fight a lot.)  
I think people find it mostly amusing and entertaining.  
We've been told that if we were a you tube channel, people would watch.

 Typical.

 I have known my husband since grade ten, when I slapped him in the bum in our music class as a dare. He wasn't impressed, and I laughed a lot with my little girl friends.  That was that.
Fast forward six months or so, and me and the "bum slap guy" are actually hanging out in the same friend group.  Eating lunch in the high school cafeteria, hanging out at parties on the weekends. 
We became, like, total bff's.

 we're babies here!

Fast forward to prom... I needed a date.  He needed a date. So I asked him out. (Women's power what!) He said yes.  I started to think he was cute.  Friendly feelings turned into "oh my gosh, I think I like like him" feelings.

Circa 2003.

Prom Night
Me: Yah, I think I like you.
Chris: Yah... I don't want to ruin our friendship.
Me: Oh, yah, of course... totally, me either. Duh. I was totally joking. *want to die*.
Summer after prom... long walks around the neighbourhood, hand holding in the dark "as friends", kisses. (Like none that I've ever done with a friend.)

Right Before Leaving for University/College in Different Cities
Chris: I LOVE YOU!
Carling: I LOVE YOU TOO!
Chris: Let's be girlfriend and boyfriend.
Carling: I LOVE YOU! (and we're idiots!)


After this - years of long distance, fighting, crying, amazing summers, phone conversations, almost break ups, family get togethers, "what the hell are we doings", travelling, vacationing, letter writing, email writing, studying, passing classes, failing classes, long bus rides, roommates, major changes, staying the same, kisses, hugs, eye rolls, and more...

5 years later we got married.
  
AW, right?
___________________________________________________________________

So it's Valentine's Day.  Not my favourite day of the year.  
I'm not big on the fake holidays, but I get it.
For us, it's an excuse to go out for sushi, which is awesome.
Barftastic.
What I do love is being in love.



  I love being married.

I love that I happened to marry just about the greatest guy in the world, and that I got to 
 know him REALLY well before we started dating.




 
 I love that I can tell my future kids my prom date was their Dad.


I even love how incredibly annoyed I get with Chris sometimes. (It's a healthy outlet for my rage.)





I love that I think we give hope to younger (and maybe even older) people out there looking for a relationship, and who maybe think there's no such thing as a lasting one.

 Cheesy enough for you?

"You are where I want to be" - Metric (quote on our wedding invitations)

.... now it's cheesy enough.

2 comments:

  1. aw you are too cute! also, graeme & i also use v-day as an excuse to go for sushi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are the cutest!! I read this blog instead of studying... and loved every second of it! <3

    ReplyDelete