Saturday, September 24, 2011

Carl I-N-G

A small word on store room change rooms & sales associates.

STOP ASKING ME WHAT MY NAME IS WHEN ALL I WANT TO DO IS TRY ON A 
T-SHIRT.

I have what you might call an "unusual name".



When I am running into a store (obviously in a hurry) to try on a plain white t-shirt that I know more than likely will fit, having to tell the woman putting me in the change room what my name is puts me in an immediate bad mood.

This is how it goes, EVERY time.

Me: "Hi, can I try this on quick?"
Overly Bubbly Change Room Lady: "Hi Hun! Of course! You can have change room 1." 
(side bar - we are the same age, stop calling me "Hun")
Me: "Great"
O.B.C.R.L: "Can I just get your name?"
Me: "Carling"
O.B.C.R.L: "What?"
Me: "Carling"
O.B.C.R.L: "Carly?"
Me: "Nope, Carl-ING"
O.B.C.R.L: (confused) "Carl...ine?"
Me: NO. Carling. I-N-G at the end.
O.B.C.R.L: "What a GREAT name! OMG!"
Me: (Hating my life and this girl) "Can I just try this on. For the Love of God please."


Do not get me wrong - I LOVE my name. 
Completely, totally, 100% love my name. Thank you Mom & Dad for giving it to me!! 
Seriously, I can't imagine going through life without a unique name.

But from now on, when I walk into Dynomite, my name is Mary.

Fact #1: Mary is the most common name for a woman in the United States
Fact #2: My name doesn't even make the top 1000, which makes me so happy!


"I don't remember anybody's name. How do you think the "dahling" thing got started?"
- Zsa Zsa Gabor 


1 comment:

  1. hahaha - i know what you mean. i was ranting about this a while back to someone. it's even worse when they want to write down your name on a whiteboard - has this happened to you?

    then you have to spell it and even though you do, it's still not spelled properly. so in the end, it's a huge customer service fail because it shows how people don't really care/ can't be bothered. i was fine before the name thing. just ask me how i'm doing and let me in the damn room!

    ReplyDelete